Call for Poetry Submissions to Anthology
Woman, Life, Freedom: Poems for the Iranian Revolution
Editors: Bänoo Zan and Cy Strom
*Before submitting, we encourage you to read this piece by the anthology's editors, in which they explain what kind of poems they are looking for.
Please read the call carefully and follow the instructions.
1. Poems in English or translated into English (accompanied by the original text).
2. Open to residents of all countries and continents.
3. We strongly encourage submissions by minorities within Iran and among Iranian diaspora communities in terms of gender, sexual orientation, ethnicity, religion (or lack thereof), language, etc., as well as people of Iranian heritage and background.
4. We also encourage submissions by poets from the Middle East.
5. For translations
(a) submitted by the poet: Please include the translator’s permission, the translator’s and poet’s bio (maximum 100 words each), and contact information plus website and social media links for both.
(b) submitted by the translator: Please include the poet’s permission, the poet’s and translator’s bio (maximum 100 words each), and contact information plus website and social media links for both.
Please submit both the original poem and the translation.
6. Maximum 3 poems and a total of 6 pages.
7. Include all poems in ONE Word document, Ariel or Times New Roman 12 point size, single spaced.
8. We are unable to accept print or email submissions. All submissions should go through Guernica Editions Submittable portal. Submittable is an online portal that makes the submission process streamlined and easy. It allows writers to submit their work to magazines, publishers, and contests online.
9. Multiple submissions will be discarded. Submit only once, one document of maximum 6 pages including maximum of 3 poems.
10. Include the biographical information of poet and translator in the 'Cover Letter' section on Submittable.
11. Simultaneous submissions are allowed, but please withdraw your poems if accepted elsewhere. If you want to withdraw one poem, use the message or note section of Submittable to send us a note about unavailability of the poem. We do accept poems previously published on social media.
12. All poets and translators whose work is chosen will be asked to sign a declaration that the work is their own original creation and that they hold full rights to it.
13. Submissions to this anthology are free.
14. All poets and translators will be paid with one copy of the anthology.
15. If our fundraiser is successful, we would like to pay a small sum to the contributors in addition to a copy of the anthology.
16. Share the fundraiser with your network.
Donations to fund this anthology's publication and support the creative voices it features may be made through the GoFundMe page.
We will acknowledge all donations.
Please note that all poems submitted will be evaluated anonymously for inclusion regardless of financial donations made to the anthology.